Monday, August 15, 2016

OF MONTREAL: ALTERNATE VISIONS OF CHERRY PEEL



Of Montreal - Cherry Peel (July 15, 1997)
Of Montreal - The Gay Parade (February 16, 1999)
Of Montreal - Horse & Elephant Eatery (April 25, 2000)


When Kevin Barnes moved to Athens, Georgia in 1996, he fell in with the Elephant 6 Collective (Elf Power, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel) and recruited Derek Almstead and Bryan Poole to flesh out the project he called Of Montreal (reportedly named after a failed romance with a woman "of Montreal.")  At first, the band wrote at home, recorded at home, and had their friends come over and play on their tapes.  When Bar/None released the group's first album Cherry Peel in 1997, Barnes wrote, "Of Montreal gives me the ability to live a more romantic life. Through my songs I add beauty and mystery and happiness and love and new landscapes and sadness and laughter to a life that's not very interesting by itself. My life is elevated to a better place through my songs. It's the same sort of thing that happens to me when I listen to someone else's music that I love or when I read Franz Kafka's stories or when looking at my brother's and Tim Roots drawings. They both contributed art to the package for my album (Cherry Peel.) Just knowing that there is a secret world inside those people too, entering that world, being inside those worlds is when I'm most happy."   

The Gay Parade followed in 1999 and in 2000, Bar/None released Horse & Elephant Eatery (No Elephants Allowed,) a compilation of bonus tracks and B sides.



CATALOG: OF MONTREAL ON BAR/NONE.COM


CHERRY PEELINGBar/None's interns unearthed these images, believed to be alternate or unused artwork for Cherry Peel Also included is some correspondence from Kevin Barnes about the artwork.





No comments:

Post a Comment