Monday, July 25, 2016

PETRA HADEN SELLS OUT (AGAIN)


Petra Haden - Imaginaryland and The Who Sell Out
(Reissued April 22, 2016)


Petra Haden, as both a vocalist and musician, has worked with a who's who of the music industry, including the Green Day, Beck, the Foo Fighters, the Decemberists, Greg Dulli's Twilight Singers, Weezer, Bill Frissell, and the Rentals, to name just a few.  One of triplet daughters of jazz bassist Charlie Haden,  Petra has often worked with sisters Rachel and Tanya (most notably in That Dog.) But she's perhaps best known for her homemade, mostly a cappella recordings, Imaginaryland (1995) and the remarkable Petra Haden Sings:The Who Sell Out (released by Bar/None in 2005.)  In April, 2016, Bar/None reissued Imaginaryland and The Who Sell Out, making them available to a new generation of fans for the first time.

Petra Haden: "I started recording  a cappella ideas and melodies, and covering songs on a 4-Track, back in the 90's. That's where my first solo album Imaginaryland was started. A few years later, Mike Watt asked me to record an a cappella interpretation of The Who Sell Out. He gave me his Tascam 488- Portastudio and I started working on it right away.
He put a tape inside with The Who Sell Out recorded on the 8th track, so I had 7 tracks to work with. I have to say it took me a little while, but I eventually had a finished product. I played him the songs over the phone and he said, "Great, now you haveto put it out!" I thought, who is going to want to put THIS out? It's so weird. Well, It got in the hands of Glenn Morrow at Bar/None andhe told me he wanted to talk to me about Bar/None putting it out. I said, "Are you sure? Don't you want me to re-record it in a studio,with a better mic?" He told me he liked it just how it was. Then I found out that Pete Townshend liked it just how it was too. It was so cool - I was learning how to record on an 8-track while getting to know more about The Who's music. I'm so happy Mike asked me to do it. And I'm so grateful to Bar/None! Thank you Mike Watt, Glenn Morrow, Mark Lipsitz and everyone at Bar/None for believing in me!





No comments:

Post a Comment